Monday, February 12, 2007

All Bets Are On

Much of my job involves predicting future stats for professional baseball and football players. I then discuss my projections with my colleagues. And by "discuss" I mean get into heated arguments with other men about people most of the world couldn't care less about.

Meet Salomon Torres
, Pittsburgh Pirates relief pitcher.





(photo courtesy of sportsillustrated.cnn.com)


Last Friday, a co-worker and I not-so-calmly and not-so-nicely chatted about Torres' value versus other relief pitchers. I wanted to move him up a whole two spots on our rankings. He felt otherwise. So did others. In the end, Torres shifted up one slot (yeah me!).

On Monday, we laid some money on the line regarding our feelings about Mr. Torres. We set his 2007 save total line at 14.5, and I have the over. As soon as Salomon reached 15 saves, I win lunch. Another colleague jumped in on the fun, and we set a line at 15.5. Thus, I need Torres to reach 16 saves to win a second lunch.

I know, I know...huge stakes. But it's all about pride, people. Pride and a 34-year-old pitcher who retired from 1997-2001. I'll be keeping count over there in the right edge column. Opening Day for the Pirates is April 2. Get hot, Salomon!

No comments: