Sunday, April 1, 2007

Layoffs

The aforementioned work-related whispers proved true. On Friday, my company fired about 14 of our 60-ish employees. My particular department was reduced from nine full-time and three part-time people to seven full-time workers. I survived the cut, which is nice, but it was sad to see some of my buddies get the bad news.

This is the second time I've been through such a process, and anyone who has been through it knows how it feels. Some sadness, some anger, some confusion, much worry, many questions.

My biggest question may now be: What do I do with the rest of my life?

It's possible that our reduced, refocused workforce will right the struggling ship. A lot of my colleagues believe that will be the case. But it's also possible that we only have a short time to prove much to ownership. I'm pretty sure no more layoffs will happen before January 2008 (our sales are heavily weighted towards Q4), and I'm looking at that as a rough timeline for taking a hard look at my future.

Any ideas? Other than becoming a Bowflex model, I mean.

No comments: