Thursday, May 24, 2007

The glory days

The potential return of a Tecmo Bowl game got me thinking about video games again. It doesn’t take much. I was addicted to video games for much of my life and am still drawn to my digital mistress from time to time. However, I believe many people of my generation long for the simplicity of the old days. Games turned more and more complex and “realistic” as technology advanced/improved. I, for one, didn’t need the changes. The best, most enjoyable games I’ve ever played were far from realistic.

Best football game: Tecmo Super Bowl
Pros: Nearly everything, Wayne Haddix
Cons: Not good for player vs. player


Best basketball game: NBA Jam
Pros: Create players, outstanding player vs. player, Grandpa
Cons: Dino Radja


Best baseball game: Baseball Stars
(narrowly edges out Baseball and Baseball Simulator 1.000)
Pros: Create Players, When It Is., prestige
Cons: Baseball Stars 2


Best hockey game: NHL ‘94
(beats out Nintendo Hockey)
--Okay, so this one breaks my “realistic” argument, sort of.


Best other sports game: Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out
Pros: Little Mac, Doc Louis
Cons: Mike Tyson
Best non-sports games:
1) The Legend of Zelda
2) Super Mario Bros.
3) Tetris
4) Pitfall!

Zelda was more complex than any sports game, but my bet is that the newer versions were/are not as fun as the original despite all the technology upgrades.

I’m not sure that I have a point here…other than you can take your Wii and your X-Box 360 and your Halo and shove it. Or shove them. Give me pixels and the basketball players with big heads and the running backs who can’t be stopped.

4 comments:

Tim said...

I hate to correct you, but we played NBA Hang Time, not NBA Jam. I bet you're saying "Nooo!" to yourself right now in the announcer's voice...at least I am.

Dude, the Trademe brothers, "Strainer" and NHL double aught get no props?? I see how it is.

Once I fix my tv, we need to start a Temco season!

Ted said...

Yeah, I mistakenly meshed two games together.

Lunstad and I used to play a lot of NBA Jam at Fuddruckers. We were always Larry Johnson and Kendall Gill (Hornets), and I recall Dino Radja being particularly nasty with the elbows.

Ben said...

That's hilarious. NBA Jam made me think of Fuddruckers...

And NBA Hang Time made me think of "Grandpa! Grabs the rock!" I ruled that game.

Unknown said...

He's unconscious!