Thursday, September 13, 2007

Nature or Nurture?

I have a habit. I'm not sure if it's a good habit or a bad habit. I think it's just a habit. I'm pretty sure this trait is a cross between my penny-pinching Dad and my dollar-spending Mom. And maybe add in a bit of my personal Minnesota roots (that is: Norwegian frugalness, Catholic guilt for spending too much).

To the point... I have a strong tendency to buy the second-worst of everything. Usually I don't think of it that way, but it's the truth.

For instance, let's pretend I go to Target tonight in search of a paper shredder or a bath towel or a spatula. Chances are, barring any on-sale stuff, I'll identify the cheapest product and then buy the next-cheapest one. I'm probably just tricking myself into thinking I'm not cheap...while secretly being cheap.

Does anyone else fall into this pattern? I'm not saying I do this for absolutely everything (I've broken out of this mold for jeans), but given the option, I'll probably act in this manner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't fall in this mode, but I DID just buy this magnet at Patina. And it was the most expensive magnet there. Does that mean anything?

Anonymous said...

i certainly do this with wine at a restaurant -- doesn't everyone?

Anonymous said...

I do this...with clothes. I'm a habitual clearance-buyer. But after many broken-too-soon purchases I've narrowed my frugalness and now try to pay more for the items that lend themselves to the "you get what you pay for" adage. Although my catholic paid-too much guilt does get me know and then, too.

Unknown said...

Not me, baby. I'm super cheap allll the way. Also, fast and easy.

Unknown said...

PS - did you know that this post was featured on MNSpeak on Friday (under Local Blogging 9.14.07)?! FUN!

http://www.mnspeak.com/mnspeak/archive/post-3870.cfm

Ben said...

Mug 92 gettin some press. Nice work, Ted.