Sunday, April 15, 2007

The positive news...

Although Amber advised otherwise, I am still dating my ladyfriend - who will henceforth be referred to as "Deb," since that is her name. Over the past two weeks, many of my friends have met the face behind the brief stories. Karah and Kevin, my softball team, and my high school crowd were all introduced to Deb, and, not surprisingly, she received very good reviews. That sentence probably sounds a little more demeaning than intended, but first encounters often carry the feeling/worry of "go ahead and judge me." You always want your friends to like your girlfriends or other friends, right? It doesn't always work out in one's favor and sometimes you just need to say "so be it" and move on.

But, ideally, people will come up to me and say, "I really like Deb!" And then I smile and nod. That's happened quite a bit lately, so I'm pretty pleased on that front.

That being said, Deb has yet to encounter a number of influential people in my life (such as my mom, Chelsea, and some of the voices in my head), and I have yet to really meet anyone outside of her sister. Who knows, maybe they'll dislike me, right? I mean, I know that sounds implausible, but some people have not enjoyed my company in the past...so it's possible. I'm much like the Desert Grassland whiptail lizard in that way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Though I AM glad for you and your ladyfriends that you do not emulate the DGWL in their parthenogenetic reproductive capacity. That would be probably scare off some folks.

Unknown said...

That's cool, I guess. I like it when the people I like are happy, and it sounds like this Deb character makes you happy, so I guess I like her. I don't really like her name all that much, though...think she could change it to something like Cordelia, or Shazzrae?

Ted said...

I'll ask her, Amber. It might be a deal-breaker if she refuses.